Thursday, October 2, 2008

Painting faces is the hardest


Worked a little more today on painting portraits. I have to admit that the faces are the hardest, although after hours you can get them right. Layers and layers of gesso and acylics mixed together plus softening with pastels ends up giving the right skin tones and blemishes.

This portrait of Juliet is my initial try for the "Romeo and Juliet" ALtered Art challenge. I was chosen to pick the theme since I won the last challenge both with first and third prizes. I couldn't believe it. I've never won anything, not even a raffle and winning this was so much more rewarding.

I am still searching. I have tried a bit of folk art to no avail, the subject matter is a little limited although it would give me alot of practice with the faces. I might paint a few dolls from the pioneer days after I finish Romeo in this series.

No comments: